Frequently asked questions
What if I'm traveling alone? Can I join a group?
Of course! That's what WTA is all about. We cater to singles. You can have a single, room or we can help you find a like-minded roommate. Here are 3 weays:
1. You're welcome to post in the "find a roommate" forum. We have many travelers also looking for a roommate!
2. Come to one of our in-person events.
3. Let us know that you're looking and we'll pair you with a roommate that might fit your needs based on personality, temperament, age, and gender.
Do I need to be vaccinated?
Yes and no. If you're not vaccinated a growing list of countries either won't let you in, or will make you quarantine in your hotel room. Others will let you in with a COVID test within the last 72 hours. So, the bottome line is if you're not, the hassle-factor goes up. But if you're dead set (that's a pun), then we'll find a way.
Will I need a passport
Yes, if you plan to travel anywhere outside the United States. And remember it may take as long as 12 weeks to get a new or renewed passport. Also, by 2022 you will need a new drivers license with a star even for domestic travel.
Do I need to join the club to travel?
Yes. We need basic information about you in order to verify any travel. We promise not to send you anything other than trip notices and a trips newsletter occassionally. And of course you can always opt out of any emails if you wish.
Why should I register for website access?
Simply providing your email will allow you access to a growing list of resources. You can also post in our forum, and be notified of local events. Join us!
What types of trips do you offer?
We offer two distinctly different types of trips. If you're new to foreign travel, we recommend you start with Type 1 before moving to a Type 2 trip:
1) Some trips are organized tours that focus on small-group tours. These are usually run by well-known tour operators with whom we partner. Nearly all such trips are run specifically for our club, and only our members will be traveling (albeit from different cities). They are fully organized with a full-time guide, and local guides at each stop. Transportation may be by bus or air. We work with several tour operators to provide our travelers trip alternatives at every price point. Expect 10-20 travelers, occassionaly larger, possibly smaller.
Some of the tour operators are large, well known domestic operators and will go to all of the major destinations in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. Others are local tour operators in more remote locations and focus on small adventure-type trips. An example from the recent past is a hiking trip operator through Patagonia. Expect 6 to 15 travelers.
In most of these trips, you will pay the tour operator directly through a special web link.
2) Some trips are organized internally by the club. Depending on the trip, the itinerary will be much looser. Once the group is defined we will get together and discuss itinerary, options, etc. Expect 8 to 12 travelers, sometimes a bit more but never more than 15. There are a couple of things to know about these trips. You'll need to sign a full release of liability. We can be much more flexible on payments, use of air points, extensions, etc. You pay us directly, and trips must be paid 90 days prior to departure. Someone paid by the club will be responsible and travel with you at all times. These will be more adventure-type or unique experiences. A good example is our Switzerland trip where we rent a chalet and use it as a base of operations to explore the area.